Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lemon Seasoned Chicken Kabobs and Spicy Sweet Potato Chips

The very first thing I ever grilled on my own was kabobs.  I had always let my father, my husband, or whomever else was cooking handle the grill.  That's changed since I have learned that I can cook up some mean kabobs!  They may be more simple than a sirloin, fish, or even some veggies, but they certainly ROCK!

I wanted to take full advantage of yesterday's nice weather, so that's why kabobs were on the menu.

Look out beautiful they turned out!

Ingredients
1 Green Pepper
1 Onion
1.5 lbs Chicken Breasts or Tenders
(I also highly recommend using PINEAPPLE - so delicious!  I wish we had some!)

Seasonings (to taste)
Garlic
Lemon Juice
Salt
Pepper
Liquid Smoke (I recommend not using too much, this flavor is strong!)

  • First thing is first, if you are using wood skewers, soak them in water so they won't burst into flames as you grill. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but I do it anyway...you don't have to do it, it's just habit for me. :)
  • Next cut up a green pepper, an onion, and 1.5 lbs of chicken tenders into chunks.
  • Put all your chunks into a bowl and season to taste with the seasonigs listed. (or be adventurous and try your own seasoning!)  Let the flavor soak up for at least 30 minutes.
  • Next, alternate your meat, onion, and pepper chunks onto your skewers.
  • Get your grill hot, I always cook at medium-high, not sure if that's proper or not though, that's just me.  You just need to keep an eye on them, turning them once or twice to evenly grill.  Neal did grill these last night (I was working on the chips) and they turned out beautifully.
  • Before serving, we squeezed some more lemon on them.
Here's some photo love!

Soaking up flavor:

Skewers are put together:

Grill time! 


We served this with homemade Spicy Sweet Potato Chips.  These chips were so great!  As we did with the chicken, we seasoned them to taste.  We don't really measure a lot of our spices out, we eye ball them.  Some people may disagree with that method, but if they are tasty, what does it matter?

Ingredients
2 medium Sweet Potatoes
Olive oil
Chili Powder
Creole
Pepper
Salt
Garlic Salt
Cumin
Cayenne
Paprika
(or use any "spicy" seasonings of your choice)


  • Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
  • Cut then ends off your sweet potatoes, then slice them into into thin pieces and put them onto cookie sheets as shown.
  • Use a brush to apply your olive oil.
  • Gather your spices and mix them together in a small bowl.  Evenly distribute these spices among your sweet potatoes.
  • Put your sweet potato chips in the oven for 20 minutes.  You will want to check on them after 20 minutes and they may or may not require a little time.  Once you pull them out, let them cool on the cookie sheets a little, we find that this helps to make them slightly crispier.
Here's some more photo love!

Cut up sweet potatoes:

Brush your olive oil on your sweet potato chips:

Spice things up by adding your blend of spices and bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees:

Now enjoy your beautiful meal!


What's your favorite food to grill?  If you try this, tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment